ANNUAL CAMPING TRIP AT BLISSFUL CABIN RETREAT 2018The 6th Annual Camping Trip at the Blissful Cabin is happening once again over Labor Day Weekend 2018 (Friday 8/31 – Sunday 9/2). We hope you can join us for a mini-vacation with plenty of opportunities for rest, relaxation, fun and community.
WHEN: August 31 – September 2, 2018 (LABOR DAY WEEKEND) (3 DAYS, 2 nights).
WHERE: Blissful Cabin Retreat for Disabled Youth – Located within the Awakening Gardens, 119 Kelly Road, Saugerties, New York 12477 (The Catskills)
WHY: So the Blissful Bedrooms Community of young individuals with disabilities (and their families and friends) can enjoy the beauty and tranquility of nature together, and relish this opportunity to get out of their bedrooms and into the woods for fresh air and peace with some fabulous folks.
**RT transportation is available for participants in need on a first come, first serve basis. We are asking that anyone requiring transportation to please chip in $40.00 per person (seat) to help us cover the costs of van rentals.**
Parking is available for those who are driving up. Please let us know if you have room in your car for additional passengers to help with getting guests up there.
If you would like to participate in this event, we urge you to please RSVP ASAP so accommodations for travel and lodging can be arranged. There is limited space, so please do your very best to RSVP no later than 8/22 (sooner is definitely better)!
We will be arranging for Passenger Vans to leave/return to a meeting point in the Bronx for those who require transportation. The vans will leave the Bronx at approximately 10:00 A.M on Friday morning (8/31) and return at approximately 8:00 P.M. on Sunday evening (9/2)
MEETING ADDRESS: TO BE DETERMINED
PLEASE BE THERE NO LATER THAN 9:15 AM. THE VANS WILL LEAVE PROMPTLY AT 10:00 AM
Note, we will be sleeping in tents. Each person is asked to bring their own sheet, pillow, a warm blanket (or two), towel/washcloth, flash light, in addition to the usual things you would bring for on an overnight trip. Make sure you pack warm clothing – long-sleeved shirts, sweat shirts, pants, warm socks, hat, rain gear (just in case), etc. If your child tends to wet the bed, please bring bed protection.
We have a wheelchair accessible campsite/tents, as well as sleeping bags and foam mattresses available for all young individuals with disabilities and for their caregiver, but additional family members will need to bring their own, as supplies are limited. Please let us know if you have your own tent or any cool camping gear that you can bring as well to contribute to the campsite.
We will provide non-toxic bug spray. Please do not bring any of the commercial brands, as there are guests who have a sensitivity to these chemicals.
Also, please feel free to bring your favorite group game(s) or a fun idea for a group activity. If you play an instrument please bring it along. If there is a special talent you would like to share, let us know!
We have exciting things planned for the weekend, including a Community Open House Celebration on Saturday with guests from the neighborhood and beyond, musicians, performers, art making and much more! Feel free to invite family and friends to come up for the day.
We are also planning to have morning yoga classes, so bring comfortable clothes to stretch and exercise in!
Further information will be supplied directly to participants who have RSVPd as we get closer to the camping weekend.
If you want to participate in this trip, we urge you to RSVP sooner rather than later. Thank you!
If you detest camping but don’t want to miss out on partying with the Blissful Campers, please consider coming for the day and joining us for our Potluck Community Celebration on Saturay, 9/1. Bring a tent just in case you change your mind
We are seeking committed volunteers, aka Partners in Compassion, to take part in this camping trip.
Specifically, we are in need of:
Drivers for our van rentals
Drivers with their own vehicles
Face painters/Children entertainers
Setup/Breakdown – can you pitch a mean tent, clean a trail or chop some firewood?
We are also in need of the donation of food, services and or funds to help support this event.
Please contact Martha@blissfulbedrooms.org if you are interested in being of service and/or can help in some way.
We are actively fundraising for this trip and, at this point, we are very far from the amount we need. We appreciate any help you can offer whether it’s contributing funds or and/or spreading the word to others who will be inspired to help.
Thank you! Looking forward to another fabulous gathering in the woods!!
DRIVING DIRECTIONS FROM NEW YORK CITY TO THE BLISSFUL CABIN RETREAT 119 Kelly Road, Saugerties, New York – approximately 2 hours from the Bronx
– We find the easiest way to get to the cabin is via the Tappan Zee bridge to the NY State Thruway (I87-N) to exit 20 (Saugerties).
– After toll, make a left and immediately get into the far right lane in anticipation of a right turn – follow signs for Route 32. Do not take 212 as that goes to Woodstock.
– After about 6 miles on Route 32, on the left you will see a gas station – Valero and the Big Belly Deli. At Y intersection ahead, take the right fork (continuing on Route 32)
– Make the next immediate right on to George Sailes Road.
– Make a right again on to Kelly Road.
– At the 90 degree bend, you will see a black mailbox #129 – that is the neighbor. The next driveway on the right is the Awakening Garden (the property that the Blissful Cabin is located on). Do not enter there, but instead continue on to the next driveway (which doesn’t have a number) and make a right into the driveway. You will see a Blissful Cabin Retreat Sign hanging on a tree inside the driveway. The gate should be open, if not just get out of the car and swing the doors open.
– Keep driving down the road (which will twist and turn) until you see a light green cabin ahead. There will be a point where there will be a road leading off to the right – this is where the parking area will be – don’t take this now – just continue straight so you can let your passengers out and unload your car in front of the cabin, and then park there later when you are finished. There will be signs and butterflies along the road letting you know you are going towards the Blissful Cabin.
Call Martha if you have any problems finding us – 917-359-9319.
************ Summer is an intense and important time for Blissful Bedrooms programming. We take advantage of the warm weather to pack in as many meaningful gatherings as possible so disabled youth can get out of their bedrooms and experience joy with others. It is also one of the most grueling times in terms of successful fundraising in order to carry it all out. As you probably know, every person on the Blissful Bedrooms team volunteers their time and energy and concurrently hold down full-time jobs, as well as family responsibilities and other obligations. It speaks to the passion, endurance, and commitment that the Blissful Bedrooms team has for the mission of our organization, which is now going into the 8th year of existence! However, we do rely heavily on grassroots fundraising to sustain our charity, and we are truly grateful and honored by each and every donation that is invested so that we can continue to do this heartwarming and socially impactful work. Thank you so much for your generous backing! Please help us by making a donation of any amount at all at the link below. We couldn’t do this without the modest and contributions of many other earthlings Thank you so much for your support of Blissful Bedroom and for being a treasured part of our community.